Throughout August, crews worked on demolishing the old Millington Fire Station located next door to the new Station 2 at 7245 Raleigh-Millington Road. The old MFD Station 2 was built back in 1974 under the leadership of then Mayor Thomas F. Hall. The building designed by architects Mahan and Shappley Architects, Inc., and general contractor Claude Irwin was brick looking like a large family home. For several years the structure was the face of the Millington Fire Department that was founded in 1903. In 1975 the original Millington Fire Station 2 was named in honor of Thomas L. Goin in recognition of faithful service, outstanding civic leadership and devotion to the city of Millington. Some current Millington firefighters came outside throughout the day to witness the destruction of their old work home. The old structure served the firefighters and community for 45 years.
- Advertisement -